Sunday, September 30, 2012

Book #26 - Mary Ann in Autumn

When I was a first year in college, a friend hooked me up with the novel The Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin.  Set in the 70's in San Francisco, the novel reads in a flash, in part because it's so delicious, and in part because it was originally published as short weekly columns in the San Francsico Chronicle (so each chapter was a little bite-sized nugget of story with iconic characters in crazy situations). 

A whole bunch of us were hooked on the novels: passing them around like a candy dish, gasping over the more shocking turns of event, and then rereading the whole series again.  (In between games of Tetris and, oh yeah, actual school work.)

Then, in 2008, wonder of wonders, another novel in the series was introduced!  It was such a delight to get to check in with these beloved friends characters, from whom we hadn't heard in so long.

Now, in the age of Facebook, guess what?!  You can be a fan of awesome authors, including Armistead Maupin, on Facebook.  It's nice to be able to stalk follow these fantastic writers, and it comes with unexpected benefits like this:  One day, Armistead Maupin posted on his FB page that you could buy one of his novels right from him, and he would sign it for you!

And because of that, I learned that somehow, I had missed the publication of the newest novel in the Tales series:  Mary Ann in Autumn.  As with all of the others, it was warm, funny, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Tales devotees:  I will loan you my copy, but you have to promise to return it.  My friend Armistead sent it just for me.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to catching up with MaryAnn soon...I'd better have my friend Armistead sign a copy for me, though. Thanks for the delightful review!
    (Oh, and BTW I did go back to your previous review and click on all the links...what a riot!) xoxo

    ReplyDelete