Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Book #14 - Invisible Monsters

It felt like a hurried selection, but that's because I'm a half-assed participant, but my awesome book group nominated Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk as our May novel.

I was a little nervous, because I had tried (and failed) to read Choke by the same author, and found it too...too...too much. Too graphic, too gross, too scary, too horrifying.  So I was not excited to try Invisible Monsters.

I think this blog -- and possibly my whole reading life?? -- might be about how it's really awesome to be challenged by other readers to try something I might have otherwise passed by.

Invisible Monsters was great.  Weird (but not incomprehensible), scary (but not terrifying), gripping, and relevant (as we all think about who we are, and who we want to be in the world).  I am so glad to have read it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sooooo glad you read it (& sorry you weren't there for the discussion)! If you ever do actually post a comment about it, please link me to it! xoxoxxo m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was Choke my fault? Yeah, that wasn't good :)

    ReplyDelete