Thursday, August 9, 2012

Book #21 - Sacré Bleu

I am a big fan of Christopher Moore novels.  I've read a ton of them, and always enjoyed his blend of humor, history, and inventiveness.  So I was incredibly excited when I learned (via a Facebook ad, of all things!  Can you believe that I got a targeted ad that was actually appropriate and appealing???) that he had a new novel, Sacré Bleu.  And even more excited when I went to the library and saw it sitting there on the Speed Read shelf, waiting for me to check it out.

Sacré Bleu is a novel of the Post-Impressionist Paris art scene, including Toulouse-Lautrecvan GoghSeurat, and others of the period.  They are haunted / blessed by Bleu, the muse who brings them the singular color blue they incorporate in their paintings.

It's a fun and engaging book, but unlike Moore's previous works, I didn't LOVE it.  It seemed like he was wishing he was actually Tom Robbins, and so was doing his damndest to write like Robbins.

If you're a die-hard Moore fan, read it.  If you're unfamiliar with Moore, read Lamb or the vampire books, You Suck and Bite Me, instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment