Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Movie #11 - This is 40

If you have been reading this, maybe you know I have a weakness for what I like to call "Dumb Guy Movies".  Here is what I love about them:

1)  Dumb Guy Movies do not give you a headache.
2)  Your heart does not race when you watch Dumb Guy Movies.
3)  Dumb Guy Movies don't make you queasy.

This Is 40 is the painful and funny story of a couple who are suddenly 40 and don't know what to make of their lives, together or individually.  They've been married for years, have a couple of kids, unusual relationships with their own parents, and so forth.

As often happens in Judd Apatow movies, you veer uncomfortably between incredibly hilarious moments and truly heart-wrenching moments.  It never goes to sappy, mostly because of the really amazing performances (Paul Rudd, John Lithgow, Albert Brooks and Melissa McCarthy are completely fabulous).

But that heartfelt vibe is also what keeps his movies from being pure-bred Dumb Guy Movies.  No matter, though. I had fun!  I didn't get a headache!  I laughed, and didn't cry!


No comments:

Post a Comment