Saturday, February 2, 2013

This is the way the blog ends...

If I were cleverer, and more hard working, I would do something super connecting my blog title with The Great Gatsby, which would connect with the last blog post (which had a reference to a great Chris Bohjalian novel that used Gatsby as its central theme), which would somehow knit together neatly with the T.S, Eliot poem referred to at the get-go.  Alas, my blog title refers to the wrong T.S. Eliot poem to make any of that actually work.

Which is about as me as you can get.  I love to read, and I read a lot.  But I am apt to get the reference a little bit wrong, mis-remember the quote just slightly, miss the thematic connection, etc.  I'm an amateur reader, not a scholar.

As if you needed further proof:  the 40th book I read in this just-over-one-year exercise was the latest in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.  Given that I've read about sixteen of the total (thus far) nineteen in the series, I am not in a position to throw stones.  They're not great books.  They used to be hugely entertaining.  Now, it's more a matter of habit that I read them at all.  This one was thoroughly adequate.

Having this blog has been interesting.  It has made me realize that I value taking the time (though I don't do so frequently) to stop and reflect on what I'm doing.  It's made me realize that I like having people weigh in on what I say; that the conversation is nearly as interesting to me as the reflection.  I've learned that I am not good at, nor am I fond of, writing summaries.  Part of why I started my other dream blog is that I think it would be interesting to try to get better at writing descriptions, particularly things that are incredibly vivid and hard to describe.  I might try to keep at that one.

But I think this one is done!  What a fun little journey this has been!  Thank you, if you've been reading!  Having a goal always motivates me, even if I don't actually achieve the goal.  Striving, I find, I get somewhere other than I would have gotten, even if I don't get to where I thought I might go.

Thank you, and good night.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! It's been fun, reading your comments and getting ideas about what to read. You might be an amateur reader, but you are perceptive and witty. I believe even scholars misremember quotes and thematic connections...xoxo

    ReplyDelete