Monday, March 26, 2012

Book #8 - Why We Broke Up

I just read Daniel Handler's new YA novel, Why We Broke Up.  (For the uninitiated, Daniel Handler = Lemony Snicket)  This novel was illustrated by Maira Kalman (who, I'm learning from her website, just illustrated an edition of Michael Pollan's wonderful book, Food Rules).

It's the story of Min, "arty" high school girl who's fascinated with movies (and as we've learned, those of us reading this blog, I'm not so much with the movies, so I was easily a third of the way through the book before I realized all the film/actor/Hollywood references she made were the product of Daniel Handler's carefully articulated make-believe movie world...) and her unlikely romance with Ed, the co-captain of the basketball team.

Reading this was like reliving (in the most painful and joyous and agonizing and ecstatic ways) high school.  If nothing else, THIS BOOK makes me glad I'm turning forty, and not fourteen.

Great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment